Karns Defeats Oak Ridge 42-35 for the First Time in 36 Years

Caleb Jarreau

The Beavers played under a beautiful fall sunset on Thursday night.

Caleb Jarreau, Managing Editor

The last time Karns defeated Oak Ridge in 1985 – Ronald Reagan was President, the Nintendo was just released, and Michael Jordan was named “Rookie of the Year.” Many viewed Oak Ridge’s strength in their run defense, only allowing over 200 rushing yards once this year. However, Karns running back Desean Bishop showed out in the televised Thursday contest, rushing for 272 yards on 31 carries, reaching the end zone four times. Bishop, a highly touted recruit, picked up another offer Friday from  Virginia Tech. He will be a visiting recruit at Tennessee’s showdown with Ole Miss. Karns WR/DB Walker Lockhart had a great game on both sides of the ball, running for 94 yards on 14 carries, catching one pass for 47 yards. He also had 10 tackles and an interception. Karns is now the presumed 2 seed in Region 3-5A. Oak Ridge will likely become the 3 seed in the region after their loss to Karns. 

The Beavers started quick when Bishop ran it in from five yards out. Karns would go up 7-0 with 9:34 left in the first. Oak Ridge’s Jai Hundley returns the kick to Karns’ 21 yard line, giving the Wildcats great field position. Hundley would run it in for six, making it 7-7 with 8:19 left. At the 6:50 mark, Karns Quarterback Cassen Huffaker throws an interception to Justyn Crowley, giving Oak Ridge the ball. Oak Ridge would go down to score on a blown coverage pass to Brandon Heyward. Oak Ridge goes up 14-7 with 5:41 left in the first.

After marching down the field, the Wildcats would score on another blown coverage pass to Heyward. Oak Ridge would make it 21-7 with 11:55 left. With 3:11 left in the half, Gavyn Duke runs it in on a reverse from Bishop to chip into Oak Ridge’s lead. After a huge goal line stand before halftime, it would remain 21-14 heading into half. 

Oak Ridge gets the ball out of half, but Trystan Duke picks off Hayden Tarwater for the second time of the night. Bishop would run it in from 61 yards out to make it 21-21 with 11:26 left in the third. Karns, straight from the huddle, runs an onside kick to perfection. With eight minutes left in the third, Lockhart goes up and “mosses” the Oak Ridge defender, putting the Beavers up 28-21. Defensive End Desmond Lockett would end Oak Ridge’s ensuing drive on a sack, forcing a punt. Bishop would go to work, scoring after his initial touchdown run was called back for wide receiver holding from 26 yards out. Karns would extend their lead 35-21 going into the fourth. 

Oak Ridge turned to the run game in the fourth quarter, scoring early in the quarter on an Elijah Rogers run. Bishop wouldn’t let another penalty set him back on the ensuing drive – running in a 76 yard touchdown to effectively put the nail in the coffin. Karns would go up 42-28 with 8:09 remaining in the game. Oak Ridge’s ensuing drive would come to an end when a fumble, forced by Lockhart, is recovered by Wesley Cooper. Karns would chew clock and give it to Oak Ridge with around a minute left. They would score a garbage time touchdown, but the game is already over. Students rush the field as Karns defeats Oak Ridge 42-35 for only the second time in history.

Karns has a much needed bye week to heal up going into their final game @Clinton 10/30 and the postseason. The Clinton game holds very little playoff implications with Karns presumably the 2 seed, having a home playoff for the first time in recent history. Oak Ridge plays Campbell County in their final game of the year, seeking the 3 seed.