The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Heads up!
The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Breaking News
  • October 25Heads up! Karns takes on Clinton this Friday at Clinton. Be there!
The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Heads Up!
  • Ghoul at the School - This Friday, 5-8!
Polls

What is your favorite abbreviation?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Karns Loses at Gibbs, But Hope is Not Lost For Their Football Team

Luc
Friday night’s score was not what the Beavers were hoping for

On Friday, September 1st, the Karns Beavers’ football team faced the Gibbs Eagles at Gibbs’ home field for a non-conference matchup. Gibbs walked away with a 49-20 win over Karns, but the score doesn’t tell the whole story. Both teams struggled to pass the ball, with neither team having more than 100 total passing yards in the game. Running the ball, however, proved to be no issue for either team, with Karns totaling 235 total rushing yards and Gibbs reaching 383 total yards on the ground. Both teams struggled heavily with penalties, with each team having more than ten penalties. Dropped catches and poor pass protection played a huge part in Karns losing this game, but despite this loss the Beavers did show some major improvements. One player who had a standout performance was Alex Idol. Karns’ football coach, Lee Warren, was also quite impressed with Idol’s breakout game. “Alex Idol played really good for us on both sides of the ball, squeezing down blocks, playing his assignment, blocking, and running the ball hard,” Warren said. The Beavers’ starting quarterback, Carson Paul, showed good mobility and impressive pocket awareness throughout the game. Whenever his blockers would start to struggle, he was able to extend plays and gain yards on the ground. Karns also really thrived in the rushing attack. The Beavers’ new running backs, Kareem Ellis and Douglas Turner, showed plenty of explosiveness. With both players averaging more than six yards per carry and the two of them combining for 188 rushing yards, they have proven that they can be dangerous with the ball in their hands. Coach Warren also had some things to say in regards to his team’s performance against Gibbs. “I thought we started each half really well, and then we lost steam. One of the biggest issues…is our poor tackling. That really hurt us Friday,” Warren said. With this loss, Karns now has a 0-3 record. They take the field next when they host Oak Ridge on Friday, September 8. Karns will meet a 2-0 Wildcats team coming off a 35-21 win over Powell. The Karns student section theme will be ‘Merica. Let’s show Oak Ridge our Karns school spirit! Go Beavers!

View Comments (1)