Need help? Try Saturday School.

At+Saturday+school%2C+students+can+complete+missing+work+or+get+help+with+difficult+assignments.+

Hailie Ford

At Saturday school, students can complete missing work or get help with difficult assignments.

Hailie Ford

School is really tough right now; whether it’s a two-week quarantine that hits due to contact tracing or that the stress of the world’s current environment has thrown the motivation out the window, many students’ grades are suffering. Maybe there aren’t enough days in the week to get everything done, or maybe students need a school setting in order to focus—whatever the problem is, students should consider going to Saturday school for help.

School on a Saturday sounds like a punishment or a chore, but it isn’t. “There’s a lot of different reasons why kids go to Saturday school,” says Mrs. LaPointe, “but it isn’t punitive. It’s not a punitive thing at all… It’s mostly designed for students who have been absent—for whatever reason—to be able to complete makeup work or maybe the student just doesn’t understand something.” Students who are struggling can ask the teacher of the class they need help in to pull classwork for them so they have something to work on, or students can bring in any homework they’re confused about. 

Saturday school is also a chance for Mu Alpha Theta students to acquire service hours. It isn’t required for them to go this year because of the pandemic, but “if you need hours, it’s a good opportunity.” 

Saturday school wasn’t always the opportunity that it is now. It started out as a day for Mrs. LaPointe’s math students to study for their end of course exams before it evolved into a brand new animal; for a number of years, it was even sponsored by the Pilot Flying J tutoring program. Now, it is open to all students. For those questioning how they could get a little help in their classes, Saturday school may be the answer.

If you plan on attending, let your teacher know! The current Saturday school dates are 11/21, 12/5, and 12/12 from 9 to 11 a.m., and masks (as well as social distancing) will be enforced. As a courtesy, please have your ride be ready to go promptly at 11. Both in person and virtual students are welcome to come.