The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Heads up!
The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Breaking News
  • October 25Heads up! Karns takes on Clinton this Friday at Clinton. Be there!
The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Heads Up!
  • Ghoul at the School - This Friday, 5-8!
Polls

What is your favorite abbreviation?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

KHS Bowls Over the Competition

The+Karns+High+Bowling+Team+huddles+together+during+a+break+between+frames+at+Strike+and+Spare.+
Christine Extine
The Karns High Bowling Team huddles together during a break between frames at Strike and Spare.

When you think of Karns High School’s sports teams, bowling might not be the first thing that comes to mind. The bowling team has been at Karns for four years and yet to most of the student body it’s not common knowledge. However the bowling team is rising in popularity.

Last year the team finished in 2nd place in their District. The bowling team consists of 10 players. Each match consists of two head to head games where 6 players play 2 full games against each other. The 2nd part of the match is made up of 2 Baker games. Baker games are where 5 players bowl two frames each for a total game.

Scoring is based on the winners of the head to head matches, Baker games, and total pin fall.

“The last two years on the bowling team have been great and I enjoy being on the team,” said junior Ian Carter.

So far this year, the team is 4 and 1, dominating the Knox County side of their district. Karns High’s home bowling lane is Western Avenue Strike & Spare family fun center. They also play at Fountain lanes off of Broadway and Crest Lanes on Alcoa Highway.

At the most recent match against the Maryville Rebels, the competition was tense. The scores were so close, it went down to the 10th frame to decide the winners. Two players, Cole Porter and Zyler Goodman bowled three strikes in a row, which is called a Turkey. Karns fought hard the entire game! It was exciting to watch the teams go back and forth during the match.

“I feel like it is a harder sport than most people realize,” said Porter.

Cole also stated that, “our team is very competitive and competes at a high level in our district. I have been bowling since I was 2, I love the game, and I love the team.”

Getting good equipment to get started is around $900-$1,000. Bowling balls range from 7 to 20 pounds. Each player determines what weight is best for them. The average poundage used is 13-15.

To be a member of the team, you must complete a physical examination, try out, pay the fees, and maintain passing grades to be eligible to play. On the lanes and during matches, language should be appropriately maintained, however, it is hard to stop a blurt out. Players must wear their team issued Jersey, and black pants for the uniform. No earbuds can be worn while playing and the players usually have their own bowling balls and shoes.

And if you are interested in becoming a member of the bowling team you can email Mrs. Extine [email protected]