The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Heads up!
The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Breaking News
  • October 25Heads up! Karns takes on Clinton this Friday at Clinton. Be there!
The best dam news in town

The Karns Chronicle

Heads Up!
  • Ghoul at the School - This Friday, 5-8!
Polls

What is your favorite abbreviation?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Model UN Provides a Gateway to Lifelong Skills and Connections

Benjamin Brostrom
The inaugural chapter of the KHS Model UN poses with sponsor, Mr. Clugg

New clubs are always welcome to the school. This year, that’s exactly what we got. A brand new club called The Model UN, had its first interesting meeting last Monday and is now having meetings every Monday. It’s important that Karns has a large number of clubs so that all students can feel welcome no matter what their interests and hobbies are. Students should be looking forward to the school’s new activities. 

The new Model UN club hopes to teach students lifelong skills they will take with them for the rest of their lives. They have true debates on real-world problems and try to work together to come to a conclusion on the matters they discuss. Their teacher, John Clugg, thinks this is a great thing for students to learn.

“…the skill you would learn… would be learning how to resolve conflicts between groups of people or people who have disagreements, because that’s the whole thing about Model UN.”

Of course, he also thinks students will receive much more from the club. Students will also learn debate, public speaking, and more. The skills Clugg hopes to teach students can be applied to many other things outside of the club, from education to even bettering their lives.

Christian Marsh, a student just joining the club, is very passionate about it and has an interest in global politics. He attended the club’s first meeting and thinks it went well.

“I have a pretty big interest in geopolitics and you know, the United Nations is kind of what it’s all about.” 

Christian believes that this club will allow him to improve his public speaking and debate skills as well as give him lots of insight on things like how the United Nations works and general politics as a whole, but he is most importantly joining to have fun and make meaningful connections with people who have the same interests as him. 

A club like the Model UN club looks great on college applications, more importantly, it also serves as a great way to teach students valuable skills and a great way to meet like-minded people. A club like the Model UN can go a long way to genuinely change a student’s life for the better. They’re an open-door club, so anyone interested can walk into Mr. Clugg’s room after school on Mondays.